March 25, 2017
BAKED IN SALT FISH, one of the healthiest dishes of the Mediterranean Diet
INGREDIENTS FOR 4 PORTIONS
1 unit Gilt-head of 750-1000 gr. approximately
5 kg Cooking salt
12 units Potatoes 50 gr. each
1/2 l. Garlic and oil (sauce) – “all i oli”
The gilt-head can be changed for a bass or red bream.
HOW TO PREPARE THE SALTED FISH
– Clean the fish without gutting, or scaling and dry with a cloth.
– Wet the salt, adding a glass of water
– Put the fish on a grill dish on a 1 cm thick coating of cooking salt.
– Cover the fish completely with cooking salt, slightly wet, so that it stays on.
– Put it in the oven which has been previously heated to a temperature of 190º C.
– Remove the dish from the oven after 15-20 minutes. The salt cover should be slightly cracked, which shows the fish is ready.
– Present it in the same dish and remove the salt cover in front of the guests.
– Serve adding garlic and oil sauce and boiled potatoes.
The garlic sauce is like a mayonnaise, but made out of garlic instead of egg-yolk. Normally it is made at home and it has not the problems of food contamination that the home made mayonnaise may present. Mayonnaise is a very relevant sauce of the Mediterranean Diet.
In the picture, you can see the fish prepared to put in the oven (after removing the garnish added by the chef for the photo) and the fish once you have removed the salt. You can see that the skin went away with the crust.